The Better Show
How to strengthen your relationships
How to deepen relationships with your partner, friends, and family. We’ll explore why healthy relationships are so important and share tips & techniques to ensure your relationships are in tip-top shape.
In this episode Ian, Darren & March talk about how to strength your relationships with others in life. We reflect on why relationships matter, our own personal experiences with them, tips & tricks you can use, and experiments we’re going to try and report back on.
- 1:45 — Why relationships matter
- 4:39 — Impacts of isolation: from prisoners to monks
- 7:33 — Week long silent retreats
- 8:47 — How humans experience loneliness at a cellular level
- 9:54 — Aristotle's Golden Mean and relationships
- 10:54 — 3 keys to defining a good friend
- 14:48 — Ian's story of reconnecting with his best childhood friend after 10 years
- 19:50 — March's story of reconnecting with his first friend since moving to the US
- 22:51 — Ian's theory of why people hate high school reunions & love college reunions
- 25:04 — Uniqueness of experiences = strongest relationships
- 26:21 — How March burst into tears and confessed his undying love for his future wife
- 30:05 — They critical component to March's early relationship with his wife
- 31:32 — Ian explains the "group friend"
- 33:20 — How Ian founded The Brunch Bunch to strengthen his relationships
- 37:12 — How Darren met his wife at his birthday party & told work she was his fiancé before he asked her
- 44:34 — How the Gottman "The Art and Science of Love" workshop strengthened March's marriage
- 48:12 — March's tips from Gottman's "The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work"
- 54:51 — Darren & Ian's tips from "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman
- 1:01:48 — Tips for dealing with the physiological responses of stress in relationships
- 1:04:06 — Darren's secret weapon for improving all his relationships
- 1:12:23 — Ian's tips for dating in the modern world
- 1:20:28 — How to use your smartphone to maintain relationships from afar…and invented Snapchat before Snapchat
- 1:26:20 — Ian's story of how pre-planning helps him maintain key relationships
- 1:26:20 — March will experiment with weekly thank you notes to express gratitude
- 1:26:20 — Darren will experiment with trying the Gottman seminar March mentioned
1:26:20 — Ian will experiment with eating alone less often, especially during the work week
Full Episode Transcript
Enjoy the show?
- Leave a review in iTunes!
- Tell two friends about the show!