The Better Show
Better Relationships Redux
We look back at one of our most popular episodes so far. How to deepen relationships with your partner, friends and family. We’ll explore why healthy relationships are so important and share tips & techniques to ensure your relationships are in tip top shape.
How to deepen relationships with your partner, friends and family. We’ll explore why healthy relationships are so important and share tips & techniques to ensure your relationships are in tip top shape.
- 1:45 — Why relationships matter
- 4:39 — Impacts of isolation: from prisoners to monks
- 7:33 — Week long silent retreats
- 8:47 — How humans experience loneliness at a cellular level
- 9:54 — Aristotle's Golden Mean and relationships
- 10:54 — 3 keys to defining a good friend
- 14:48 — Ian's story of reconnecting with his best childhood friend after 10 years
- 19:50 — March's story of reconnecting with his first friend since moving to the US
- 22:51 — Ian's theory of why people hate high school reunions & love college reunions
- 25:04 — Uniqueness of experiences = strongest relationships
- 26:21 — How March burst into tears and confessed his undying love for his future wife
- 30:05 — They critical component to March's early relationship with his wife
- 31:32 — Ian explains the "group friend"
- 33:20 — How Ian founded The Brunch Bunch to strengthen his relationships
- 37:12 — How Darren met his wife at his birthday party & told work she was his fiancé before he asked her
- 44:34 — How the Gottman "The Art and Science of Love" workshop strengthened March's marriage
- 48:12 — March's tips from Gottman's "The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work"
- 54:51 — Darren & Ian's tips from "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman
- 1:01:48 — Tips for dealing with the physiological responses of stress in relationships
- 1:04:06 — Darren's secret weapon for improving all his relationships
- 1:12:23 — Ian's tips for dating in the modern world
- 1:20:28 — How to use your smartphone to maintain relationships from afar…and invented Snapchat before Snapchat
- 1:26:20 — Ian's story of how pre-planning helps him maintain key relationships
- 1:26:20 — March will experiment with weekly thank you notes to express gratitude
- 1:26:20 — Darren will experiment with trying the Gottman seminar March mentioned
1:26:20 — Ian will experiment with eating alone less often, especially during the work week
Full Episode Transcript
Enjoy the show?
- Leave a review in iTunes!
- Tell two friends about the show!