The Better Show
Meditation for focus & happiness
How meditation affects the brain & body, strategies for getting started with meditation, finding the techniques that work best for you, apps & tools to help with your meditation practice and strategies for building a daily meditation habit.
In this episode Ian, Darren & March talk about meditation. We reflect on how meditation can help deal with all sorts of life challenges, our own personal experiences with meditation, tips & tricks you can use, and experiments we're going to try and report back on.
- 1:02— What meditation is and how it begets mindfulness
- 2:21 —The science behind meditation and how it can positively affect your mind and body
- 6:13— Darren’s journey — you too might be mediating already and not know it
- 13:58 —Why not all attempts at meditation might stick
- 16:11 —Ways meditation can help make your life more balanced like it did for Ian
- 19:27 —Finding yourself not able to be “in the now” or having trouble letting go? March recommends meditation
- “Letting go of extrinsic motivators, and embracing intrinsic ones”
- 24:35 —It’s not called a meditation practice for nothing
- 26:25 —Shamanic drumming, binaural beats, and brain entrainment: how rhythm and other external factors can elevate your consciousness
- 33:05 — “Meditation is the exercise to get strong mental muscles and mindfulness is the use of those muscles to help me” — March
- 33:30 —Methods to practice focusing your attention, as tested by March
- 36:03 —PSA: meditation is not a religious activity
- 37:39 —App suggestions to help you get started on your meditation practice
- 44:19 —What three personal meditation routines actually look and feel like
- 1:05:20 —Transcendental meditation can teach you how to access your inner calm
- 1:13:34 —Our next experiments:
- Ian will continue his mindfulness meditation streak, try TM, start a daily gratitude journal
- Darren will read Man’s Search for Meaning and meditate outside in unpleasant weather
- March will continue daily meditation, experimenting with mantra-based meditation, and start a gratitude journal
Full Episode Transcript
Enjoy the show?
- Leave a review in iTunes!
- Tell two friends about the show!