The Better Show
Eating to perform at your best
Why good nutrition matters for your performance, the negative effects of poor nutrition, strategies to improve your diet, the pros & cons of low carb & ketogenic diets and how to eat for mental focus.
In this episode Ian, Darren & March talk about optimizing your nutrition for performance. We reflect on why nutrition matters, our own personal experiences with food, tips & tricks you can use, and experiments we're going to try and report back on.
- 2:57—Why nutrition matters for optimum performance
- 5:13—Darren, March and Ian talk about their own relationship with food, from childhood to adulthood, and Ireland to Georgia.
- 10:52—The current state of nutritional science
- 12:51—The surprising story of why Michelle Obama made healthy eating her legacy
- 15:00—The one piece of advice Darren's doctor gave him that changed his eating habits
- 18:13—Why you should question what you're being told is good or bad for you
- 21:04—Why nutritionists know so much more about food than your doctor
- 24:19—How Ian ditched drinking soda by eating ice cream
- 29:43—Adding something to your diet is the best way to remove something else
- 31:26—Dark, leafy vegetables are the magic pill of nutrition
- 34:00—Save money buying healthy food with the Dirty Dozen & Clean Fifteen lists
- 36:34—How march went from hangry to happy by stabilizing his blood sugar
- 39:38—The many benefits of Darren's daily morning caffeine
- 43:15—Ketogenic diet: What is it, the benefits, March's experience with it
- 51:15—March tells Ian how to get started with a Ketogenic diet
- 1:01:07—How starting your day with protein helps with weight loss, energy and focus
- 1:02:58—March's best quick tips for finding the time to eat healthy
- 1:05:12—Ian's best quick tips for avoiding food cravings
- 1:08:41—The one thing people always mess up when trying to eat more vegetables
- 1:10:51—Darren's Chick-Fil-A hack when you're in a pinch for healthy food
- 1:13:05—March's next experiments: Forehead tapping & lowering protein intake for ketosis
- 1:14:48—What March's typical day of food looks like on a ketogenic diet
- 1:16:03—Darren's next experiment: MCT oil for more daily energy
- 1:17:30—Bulletproof coffee: a ketogenic coffee drink
- 1:19:26—Ian's next experiment: 100% small batch dark chocolate for lower blood pressure
Full Episode Transcript
Enjoy the show?
- Leave a review in iTunes!
- Tell two friends about the show!