The Better Show
Beat the Winter Blues
On this episode we explore techniques and tools for beating the winter blues and getting more enjoyment from the winter months.
- 2:01 — March shares that he recently switched over to all Christmas music all the time on his Spotify playlist and Darren discovers a couple of new Christmas songs that are exclusive to Amazon Prime.
- 6:40 — How can you tell if you are affected by the “winter blues.”
- 10:22 — What causes the “winter blues.”
- 15:14—We explore a new study that suggests that people with lighter eyes might be more resilient to Seasonal Affective Disorder.
- 18:39—March shares his personal experience with the winter blues growing up in Ireland.
- 25:07 —Darren discusses his first experience dealing with the winter blues after moving to the Pacific Northwest.
- 27:01 — Ian does a latitude check on his hometown and discusses the experience of a friend whose doctor prescribed a sun lamp as a way to combat winter blues.
- 34:14 — Exercise as a way to counter the effects of winter blues.
- 35:23 — How avoiding simple carbs can also help improve your mood during the dark days of winter.
- 37:57 — We discuss some research that indicates that consumption of fish oil can help improve mood.
- 43:42 — How to use light therapy to help overcome Seasonal Affective Disorder and the relationship between bright light and the body’s production of melotonin.
- 54:20 —If the sun won’t come to you, maybe you consider going to the sun.
- 58:44 — How hot-cold therapy and spending some time in a sauna can help improve your mood during the cold winter months.
- 1:06:21 — We decide on The Better Next Step for this episode and discuss what experiment each of us are going to try based on this episode.