The Better Show
Our Best (Failed) Experiments
It's often said that we learn more from our failures that from our successes. This week we reflect on some of the experiments we tried that didn't quite work out. We discuss what we learned from the experience and ponder some future experiments that were inspired by these failures.
Have a request for a show topic? Give us a call on The Better Show hotline at +1 971–333–8007.
- 2:31 — Ian recommends the book Fail Forward by Thomas Nelson.
- 3:02 — Darren reflects on his failure to consistently meditate.
- 6:10 — How travel can interrupt your routines and a method that Ian uses to counteract the interruption.
- 7:13 — March finds a quiet place in the middle of a noisy airport.
- 9:20 — March shares a very unpleasant experiment he tried with cold water swimming in the Irish Sea as a form of cold therapy.
- 11:50 — Ian observes that his Finnish heritage hasn’t helped him embrace the cold water therapy.
- 15:40 — Ian’s difficulty in adopting the Productivity Planner.
- 21:35 — March and Darren share a failure they have in common in their attempt to adopt a HIIT (high intensity interval training) workout.
- 27:29 — Darren references the classic movie scene “7 Minute Abs” from the movie Something About Mary.
- 28:53 — Ian’s shares his difficulty in trying to reduce his consumption of meat.
- 32:17 — March offers Ian a couple of tips to try to reduce his meat consumption.
- 39:31 — We learn that Darren loves his movies and TV series too much to seriously reduce his screen time and rattles off a few of his favorites including The Two Popes, For All Mankind, Billions, and The Mandalorian (3 cheers for Baby Yoda!).
- 44:31 — March learns just how difficult it is to learn a new language without being fully immersed in it.
- 48:29 — Ian’s unrealized dream of trying to master lucid dreaming.
- 50:40 — March finds a study that shows how Vitamin B6 can affect the intensity of dreams.