The Better Show
Better Bite: Garmin Forerunner 645 Smart Watch
On this episode we review the Garmin Forerunner 645 smart watch and talk about why March decided to buy one.
- 1:00 — If a Garmin running watch isn’t your jam, we suggest an alternate episode (Episode 59 — How to fight the flu) to check out instead.
- 6:05 —What is the Garmin Forerunner 645 and why did March decide to pick one up?
- 9:01 — Why you can’t simply “brute force” running training and why variety in your training routine benefits you.
- 11:07 — The design of the Garmin Forerunner and what’s it like to wear it while running.
- 12:29 — Battery life and how to extend it.
- 15:16 — Heart rate tracking — the strengths and the weaknesses of the current state of the art.
- 16:03 — Ian chimes in with his experience with the Scosche heart rate monitor he uses with his Peloton.
- 21:22 — March gives the Garmin his grade on industrial design.
- 24:39 — What is a “stride length” and how do smart devices use stride length and information from other sensors to improve accuracy of their measurements.
- 29:10 — When you should back off your training routine.
- 32:52 — What else the Garmin Forerunner does in addition to measuring your running training routine.
- 34:19 — Why some people prefer to listen to podcasts or audiobooks rather than music when they exercise.
- 36:48 — The social features of the Garmin app.
- 38:54 — The other features of the watch includes the Garmin Pay feature that enables fast payments at retail stores.
- 43:40 — March concludes with his final rating of the Garmin Forerunner 645 smart watch.