The Better Show
Better Coffee: Part 2
On this episode we continue our series on coffee. We dive into the process that takes the coffee fruit all the way to a carefully toasted bean ready to brew.
- 1:55 — We recap our conversation in part 1 about why coffee matters.
- 7:07 — Darren and March discuss Bulletproof coffee.
- 8:40 — Darren tells the story of how he first became interested in coffee and espresso.
- 13:22 — Ian explains the art of roasting coffee beans.
- 18:43 — The trade-off between acidity and bitterness.
- 20:58 — The chemistry of coffee roasting and the importance of drying out the beans.
- 26:26 — Ian explains how different coffee roasts are defined and how roasting coffee is a little like popping popcorn.
- 34:40 — The goal of a good coffee roaster and how they balance different flavors in the bean roasting process.
- 37:10 — The 5 stages of roasting coffee and what happens at each stage.
- 37:44— How sugar content is affected by the roasting process and what that means to the final flavor of the drink.
- 39:39 — The chemistry of caramelization and the joys of a good crème brulee.
- 43:01 — March finds some similarities between coffee roasting and aging whiskey.
- 43:59 — March introduces his new puppy, Leonard, to the YouTube audience.
- 47:10 — Acidity versus bitterness and how we taste the different flavors.
- 51:05 — Acidity versus aromatics and a short diversion to reflect on the taste of crayons. 🙂
- 54:00 — Ian previews part 3 where we do a live coffee tasting (also called a cupping).