The Better Show
Better Fasting 2019 Pt.1
This episode we’re kicking off a 2 parter we recorded during a week long fast. In part 1 we’ll talk about why we’re doing a prolonged fast and check in on how it’s going for the first couple of days.
- 1:07 — We introduce the week-long fast with an overview of the rules for the fast, a discussion of what the research shows about fasting, and the benefits we hope to experience.
- 13:30 — March’s motivation behind doing this fast.
- 15:29 — Darren’s motivation behind doing this fast.
- 19:38 — The Keto flu
- 22:28 — The Lumen device that claims to measure metabolism
- 24:30 — Darren and March document the time of their last meal.
- 27:02 — Day 2 check in: Ian is clearly feeling the hunger, March is holding strong to his water-only fast, and records this episode in total darkness.
- 29:57 — Coffee as the killer “cheat code” for surviving a fast
- 31:20 — Darren’s initial impression of the Prolon food kit and his doctor’s reaction to hearing about this 5-day fast.
- 33:50 — March uses a VR headset; Darren loses a couple of pounds; Ian appreciates having Carine as a partner in the fast.
- 39:35 — How the fast is affecting Ian, Darren, and March’s sleep.
- 42:12 — Day 3 check in: Darren and March each reflect on a difficult night; Ian grieves over an uneaten birthday cake.
- 46:38 — Ian and Carine start experiencing some increased mental clarity
- 49:00 — March gets a renewed appreciation for soup; Ian and Carine start plotting their approach for breaking their fast.
- 53:02 — How the fast is screwing up sleep quality for Darren and improving sleep quality for Ian.