The Better Show
Better Meetings: Part 2
This week we conclude our 2 parter on better meetings. If you haven’t listened to part one go check it out and then come back to hear the conclusion of how to make meetings most effective.
- 1:35 — Insights from Paul Graham’s blog post “Maker’s Schedule vs Manager’s Schedule”
- 3:20 — When to schedule meetings with “makers” to minimize the disruption to their days.
- 4:25 —Caucus meetings versus moderated meetings and the pros and cons of each.
- 6:21—The characteristics of a moderated meeting.
- 9:32 — Ian and March engage in a friendly debate about the value of moderated meetings
- 10:03 — Ian’s case against a moderated meeting.
- 12:18 — The value of taking an improv class as a way to foster a “yes and…” mindset.
- 13:15— March’s case for a moderated meeting in specific circumstances.
- 18:05 — How moderated meetings can be much more effective when including remote team members.
- 18:54 — Tips from March for working remotely and which meeting types work best for in-person meetings versus remote meetings.
- 20:48 — Ian reflects on how Leo Laporte organized his meeting space so that remote interviewees appeared physically present.
- 23:45 — The power of recording meetings for later reference and at tip for listening at 2X speed.
- 26:05 — March and Ian give a shout out to the value of the Microsoft Whiteboard app as a great tool for collaboration with remote meeting attendees.
- 27:40 — Darren, Ian, and March decide which tips they are going to apply to improve their meetings.
- 29:33 — The “better next step” for listeners.