The Better Show
Better Recovery Days
In this episode we discuss the importance of taking recovery days to protect our mental health during stressful times. We compare notes on what our ideal recovery days would be like and hopefully provide inspiration for your next recovery day.
- 1:15 — How we arrived at the topic this week.
- 3:40 — March reflects on how losing his sense of curiosity is an indicator of burnout for him.
- 12:45 — Darren shares a gesture of gratitude that his sister-in-law received from the principal at her school.
- 14:14 — Ian shares how he has been experiencing burnout lately.
- 15:20 — March reflects fondly on a recent recovery day and the different types of recovery days in his life.
- 17:30 — Zen and the art of home repair.
- 21:40 —The characteristics of a recovery day for Darren including getting away from obligations.
- 23:29 — Darren proposes instituting a holiday on the first sunny Friday of the year.
- 25:17 — Ian talks about how the definition of a recovery day has changed for him over the past several years.
- 30:15 — Prioritizing your own recovery and the Eisenhauer Matrix.
- 34:01 —March shares how his perfect recovery day would unfold including time in nature and being productive with his hands.
- 40:20 — Some things that didn’t work for March when trying to recover.
- 47:29— Ian shares his tactic of unplugging from his normal routine including unplugging from his phone’s notifications.
- 47:29 — Ian shares one way he unplugs is by reading something old.
- 54:31 — Rediscovering old pleasures like classic video games and old movies.
- 56:44 — Finding your highlight for the day.
- 59:20 — Ian waxes poetic on his love for the sauna.
- 1:02:04 — Darren describes his perfect recovery day including waking up with the sun, going for a swim in the ocean, and enjoying the conversation at a local coffee shop.
- 1:08:50 — March’s “better next step” is a portable sauna.
- 1:10:02 — Darren leans in on creating high-quality cocktails.
- 1:11:19 — Ian is going to schedule more mental health days.