The Better Show
Get Super Fit in 30 Days
We discuss the best ways to get fit fast. We explore the most effective training techniques, the importance of sleep & nutrition for fitness, and how to deal with feeling discouraged.
We discuss ways to strengthen your memory - everything from remembering names to learning more effectively.
- 3:00— Ian kicks off the show with a quote from Chris Rock on fitness.
- 5:35— March shares some research on how quickly exercise can affect your body.
- 7:46— March shares a tip on setting a reasonable near-term goal for what kind of fitness results you want to achieve.
- 8:31— March shares his fitness routine for when he was training to climb Mt. St. Helens and Darren shares his routine for training to climb Mt Rainier.
- 13:51— Ian shares his experience with getting in shape for multiple sports in high school and contrasts his experience with experience from other athletes who focused their training on a single sport.
- 19:15— arch shares a 2nd tip about ways to assessing your current level of fitness and describes a method from a Brazilian researcher about how to quickly predict a person’s risk of early death.
- 20:46— Darren, March, and Ian report their results from trying the Stand up Challenge test.
- 23:46— We introduce The Better Show “Stand up Challenge” and issue a challenge to the audience to post a video of themselves standing up with the hashtag #standupchallenge.
- 24:42— Darren and March both commit to posting a video of themselves attempting to stand up using only one leg.
- 27:31— Ian shares a resource from World Fitness Level where you can quickly get an assessment of your current fitness level by answering a few basic questions.
- 32:01— March, Ian, and Darren each share their results from the World Fitness Level test in the form of their current fitness age.
- 39:09— March shares a fitness routine that promises in 30 days to bring you to up the fitness level required to run a marathon.
- 39:44— We take a test to assess our readiness to start the 30-days to marathon training routine.
- 47:36— March picks a personal fitness goal of being fit enough to hold his breath for a long period of time in preparation for an upcoming scuba diving trip to the Azores.
- 47:57— Ian decides to get in shape for golf season so he can crush Darren on the links (even worse than he already does. #saltinthewound)
- 48:52— Darren sets a goal to be able to bike to work comfortably overcoming the hills on his route.
- 54:41— Ian discusses some elements of a training regimen for better golf fitness.
- 58:21— We discuss HIT (High Intensity Interval Training) as one of the methods for getting fit in less time.
- 59:18— Ian shares that time was a key driver behind his decision to purchase a Peloton indoor bike.
- 1:02:18— March describes the “big four” body weight exercises that you can do anywhere to maintain your overall fitness.
- 1:03:46— Ian goes into the sauna with his Apple Watch.
- 1:14:38— We come back to a favorite topic of ours on The Better Show: sleep and how it factors into an effective fitness regimen.
- 1:16:00— Ian talks about how to manage hitting the plateau.
- 1:24:37— We talk about how to avoid training injuries.
- 1:29:49— March and Darren discuss the RICE method for recovery and Darren gives a glowing endorsement for the Ice Man Cold Therapy machine.
- 1:37:24— Ian commits to working on his golf game fitness and Darren is tempted to get an Oura ring.
Full Episode Transcript
Enjoy the show?
- Leave a review in iTunes!
- Tell two friends about the show!