The Better Show
Better Holidays: Gifts & Relationships
The interconnecting theme of getting better at the holidays, whether that's parties, gifts, or feasts is your relationship to your friends and family. Mindfully nourishing your most important relationships is important for your happiness & health as well as their happiness and health.
In this episode Ian, Darren & March talk about how to have better holidays. We reflect on why holidays matter, our own personal experience with them, tips & tricks you can use, and experiments we're going to try and report back on.
- 1:16 — The Better Show is growing like a weed: quick update on how many countries we have listeners in worldwide.
- 2:44 — What is the most popular holiday in the world?
- 4:30 — Why do holidays matter?
- 6:41 — The Tail End insight about the time you spend with family
- 12:11 — How to have better conversations during the holidays
- 17:26 — Gift giving tips from Darren's wife Mardee
- 22:35 — Ian's "Buy One, Get One" trick for gift buying
- 24:07 — The Pajama Fairy story
- 26:15 — Giving the gift of choice with a personalized gift catalog
- 28:13 — How experiences can be some of the best gifts
- 29:12 — Does Ian have a bad gift giving habit?
- 33:49 — Maintaining routines during the holidays
- 43:23 — The Averaging Effect on gift giving
- 46:36 — The value of the surprise in gift giving
- 50:22 — The power of batching when gift giving
- 52:52 — Pinterest, Amazon Universal Wish List and more for inspiration and organization
- 55:32 — Asking questions of people's personal experiences to build empathy and avoid conflict
- 59:53 — Using your family history as a shared common background for family discussion
- 1:04:53 — March will experiment writing Thank You notes for gratitude this holiday
- 1:06:46 — Darren will experiment with small gifts, mostly experiences, and being more present this holiday season
- 1:07:34 — Ian will experiment with sending hand-made holiday greeting cards to family & friends
- 1:10:28 — Darren recommends Postagram for sending quick thank you cards
Full Episode Transcript
Enjoy the show?
- Leave a review in iTunes!
- Tell two friends about the show!