The Better Show
Better Learning with Ryan Carson Redux
We have our very first guest on the show! Ryan Carson is the founder and CEO of Treehouse - an online learning company. We talk to him about learning techniques, mentorship and the best way to learn a new skill.
We discuss ways to strengthen your memory - everything from remembering names to learning more effectively.
- 1:59— We welcome our first guest on The Better Show, Ryan Carson, CEO of Treehouse.
- 3:12— “I think learning is the largest single determining factor of your success in life.” — Ryan Carson
- 4:50— We learn a little bit about Treehouse, what it does and why Ryan started it.
- 7:39— Ryan discusses the huge gap between the number of new jobs requiring coding skills and the number of traditional Computer Science graduates.
- 10:36— Ryan compares how learning a skill like coding is similar to learning a skill like carpentry or other trades.
- 12:36— We talk about the changing environment for learning and how today it is possible to get a degree from Harvard for free online.
- 15:06— Ryan describes the changes that are happening in the workforce that are motivating companies to invest in trade skill-style training.
- 19:50— Ryan shares how he has partnered with Boys & Girls Clubs to introduce Treehouse’s learning opportunities to under-served communities.
- 24:30— We discuss the importance of mentorship in the learning process.
- 27:41— We discuss how to initiate a request for mentorship and how to be a good mentee.
- 30:35— March asks Ryan what he looks for when deciding whether or not a mentorship request will be a good fit.
- 31:28— Ryan shares a tip about the value of sharing experiences versus trying to give advice.
- 35:17— Darren shares a tactic that his mom used to keep him constantly creating with Lego.
- 36:35— We discuss the role of artificial intelligence and how it will affect the types of things we need learn in the future.
- 42:07— We do some rapid-fire Q&A with Ryan on topics ranging from the craziest experiment Ryan ever tried on himself to areas he’s currently working to improve.
- 47:01— Darren, March, and Ian each adopt one thing from the conversation that they will experiment with going forward.
- 51:11— We wrap up the show with a reflection on our conversation with Ryan, what we learned from the discussion, and give a quick shout to our moms for all that they do to help us learn throughout our lives.
Full Episode Transcript
Enjoy the show?
- Leave a review in iTunes!
- Tell two friends about the show!