The Better Show
Interview with John Zeratsky, Make Time Author
This episode is an interview with John Zeratsky, author of of the book Make Time. Ian chats with John to learn about what productivity and self-awareness habits he’s using during the pandemic.
- 1:22 — Ian welcomes John to the show.
- 2:39 — John talks about what has changed since the book came out in late 2018 that makes the topic of time management more important.
- 6:01 — John discusses how the need to work from home during the COVID-19 lock down has changed the routines for nearly all of us.
- 8:44 — The different way we perceive time now that we are spending all our time at home.
- 10:15 — The effect of adding more intention to your days.
- 15:25 — John talks about the circumstances in his life that led to the creation of Make Time.
- 19:26 — How John’s time management habits have changed since his transition from a full time employee to entrepreneur.
- 22:19 — John discusses the importance of finding the things in life that give you energy.
- 24:22 — How the use of social media affects our in-person interactions and why it’s important to be conscious about it.
- 29:07 — John offers some new tips that he’s discovered since writing the book including the use of a “calendar template”.
- 30:01 — John shares what’s on his personal “calendar template”.
- 33:10 — John discusses the concept of “iceberg yes” and how to use it to avoid getting overwhelmed.
- 38:30 — John explains what a “charge cabinet” is and
- 40:33 — The importance designing your physical space to reinforce good time habits.
- 41:22 — Using “social jujitsu” to increase the quality of your social interactions.
- 43:40 — The reality that many of structures and routines that we have relied upon in life are no longer there and we need to find new ways to support healthy routines.
- 45:40 — How the news can be a source of acute anxiety and the importance of moderating one’s news consumption.
- 50:35 — John shares his tip for the single biggest quality of life improvement you can make.